Monday 14 June 2010

Palaces and Statues Oh My




Palaces and Statues Oh My

I was able to take a great trip to London, which I never thought I would have the opportunity to do. To anyone who reads this I would want to tell them to take in everything they can but most importantly the palaces and statues that are all over the city. The first and most beautiful place that we saw was Buckingham Palace, it was gorgeous. Interestingly enough what struck me most about the Palace was how in love with it both tourists and English people were with the palace. It building that they honor and that has been around for very long time. It just shows how in love with their history they were. Not only did it show at Buckingham palace but also the other places as well. We did some research on the palace before seeing and we found this site that really went over everything. http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/ Then outside Buckingham Palace is another piece of history, which is a fountain and statue named the Queen Victoria Memorial. It commemorates the death of England’s longest-reigning monarch Queen Victoria and was unveiled by George V in 1911.The statue was carved from a two thousand pound block of solid marble, with figures representing Truth, Peace, Constancy and Motherhood. Link: http://www.londondrum.com/cityguide/queen-victoria-memorial.php


When we stood in front of the fountain we tossed a pence into the fountain and made a wish. I felt a little like a tourist but it was amazing to stand in front of this monument that the people of England treasure. Both in Geography and English I have learned how important these buildings that are pieces of artwork to our eyes are to the people who live there and have actually lived through the history. The third place, which I found to be a little more mythical then, I would have expected is Kensington Palace home to many princesses including princess Diana. The reason being that it is mythical is due to the fact that they had an exhibit portraying seven princesses but it a rather childish way. It was again a gorgeous piece of architecture and I still got the impression that people were so proud of it. I also felt though that people were unsure how to feel about the palace at the time and the way in which it was being displayed. http://www.hrp.org.uk/kensingtonpalace/ I honestly did not know very much about Kensington Palace until after I toured and really got an understanding for how these princesses lived. I thought they must have had very glorious lives but that was not always the case and most were very unhappy because they were taken away from their families and forced to marry men who they did not love. It was a very interesting way to learn about the history of this palace. The fact that the palace is so well reserved shows how much it means to England and how much they want to share with whoever wants to learn.


No comments:

Post a Comment